How We Started
Colliers International has evolved from enterprising, independent local business owners to an organization of 522 offices and 12,300 employees around the world with headquarters in Seattle, Washington. As we grew, we continued to seek out partners who shared our common values and spirit of enterprise.
A Few Key Milestones
A new company in a new city
We trace our roots back to 1898, when Macaulay Nicolls was founded in Vancouver, Canada as a real estate, property management and insurance agency. At that time, there were 50 registered real estate companies in the two-year-old city—more than the number of grocery stores! J.P. Nicolls opened bank account No. 8 with the Royal Bank of Canada.
Power in partnership
In 1904, 16-year-old Ronald Maitland, a junior bank clerk with the Royal Bank of Canada, is hired as a clerk for Macaulay Nicolls. He became a partner in 1922, and the firm posted a profit of $57,000 in 1927. Macaulay Nicolls Maitland is the only real estate firm to survive Vancouver’s tumultuous property rush due to conservative financial management and diversified services including maritime insurance.
The Colliers brand begins
Our name originated in Australia, where Colliers International was founded through the collaboration of three property services firms in 1976. We are named in honor of Ronald Collier, who was a chartered surveyor and respected mentor to the founders, Robert McCuaig, Bill McHarg and George Duncan. This photo was taken in the late 1970s at our first national sales conference. Duncan, in the middle of the front row, wears a T-shirt with the proposed early Colliers International logo.
New leadership for expansion
John McLernon, our fourth CEO, took the helm of Macaulay Nicolls Maitland in 1977. Over the next 25 years he would build the company from a provincial operation in Vancouver, BC and Calgary, AB with revenue of $1.5 million to a global enterprise with $1.8 billion in revenue in 2011.
Leading the trend in global services
In 1984, Colliers International joined forces with Macaulay Nicolls Maitland, leading the shift in our industry from regional real estate companies to global services organizations. This prompted MNM to change its name to Colliers Macaulay Nicolls and later to Colliers International. CEO John McLernon led the charge to form partnerships worldwide; Colliers is now in 522 offices in 62 countries.
The Everest expedition
Two Canadian mountain climbers, Alan Hobson and Jamie Clarke, reached the summit of Mount Everest on May 23, 1997. It was their third attempt. The expedition was sponsored by Colliers International offices from around the world, helping to unite our team, and several of our professionals joined the climbers at base camp to cheer them on.
New leadership in Seattle
Doug Frye is hired in 2001 and in 2002 the leadership transition from John McLernon to Doug Frye is complete, making him Colliers’ fifth president and CEO in 100-plus years. Colliers International’s global headquarters move from Vancouver, Canada to Seattle.
A strong capital partner
In 2004, FirstService Corporation invests in the CMN, Inc., the former Colliers Macaulay Nicolls portion of Colliers International, enabling us to expand our platform to offer clients complementary services such as project management, hospitality consulting and valuation and appraisal services. CMN grows to become become the largest member-owner of Colliers International.
A refreshed, powerful brand
The Colliers International brand is united in 2010, with all partner firms committed to working under a single brand name, mission and business principles. All offices are accountable to a clear corporate structure with six regional CEOs (in Asia, Australasia, Canada, EMEA, Latin America and the US) led by global President & CEO Doug Frye.
Doing a world of good
Colliers International sponsors Everyone Gives, the world’s most inclusive social giving campaign. The 17-day campaign, launched Feb. 22, 2012, raised almost $750,000 for nearly 1,500 charities, engaging more than 15,000 donors from 64 countries. This innovative campaign demonstrated that social giving, the fastest-growing segment of philanthropy, can make a big difference. News outlets worldwide covered the story of Everyone Gives’ growth and success.
UK & Ireland business united
In 2012, 90% of Colliers International's revenue is under single ownership, a result of FirstService Corporation's acquisition of the Colliers International business in the United Kingdom and Ireland. New business opportunities soar as a result of referrals from the world's leading financial marketplace.
Colliers International Thailand History
Colliers International Thailand is established through combining the resources of the global real estate services firm Colliers International and Pasupat Realty Co. Ltd., an established and respected Bangkok-based firm with more than 20 years of in-depth, comprehensive knowledge of the property market in Thailand.
Colliers International Thailand offers the full range of transactional and professional services as a real estate consultant in Thailand.
Colliers International Thailand opens its first branch office in Pattaya, Thailand providing all Colliers’ service lines to the Eastern Seaboard region.
Colliers International Thailand wins its first major property management instruction at Assumption University (Suvarnabhumi Campus)
Total staff count reaches 100
A key milestone for Colliers International Asia Pacific as the offices in the region launch the new global brand.
Colliers International Thailand wins the “Best Agent (Eastern Seaboard)” and “Best Agent Bangkok (Highly Commended) at the Thailand Property Awards
Colliers International Thailand hosts the “Asia Connect Conference 2011” at Four Seasons Hotel, Bangkok attended by more than 200 Colliers professionals from around the globe to strengthen service lines, promote service excellence, disseminate expertise and develop sustainable business practices, environments and workplaces for our clients around the region
Colliers International Thailand opens its second branch office in Hua Hin, Thailand and provides its full range of services.
Total staff count reaches 200